The Advent Workshop is a Christ Church tradition where all ages can spend time together preparing for the Advent season. Come make crafts and collect devotion materials that will help you and your family celebrate the true meaning of this very special season, as we prepare for Christmas. Childcare available upon request. Please make a reservation below if you'd like to attend.
Advent Workshop Reservation Form
(Cost is $5 per person, or $15 per family, payable at the workshop.)
This year, the Advent Workshop will have nine craft stations including the traditional advent wreath.
- O, Cookie Tree-t: Ice, sprinkle, dot a Christmas tree gingerbread cookie with all sugary adornments. An exercise in excess for all ages.
- O, Candle: Decorate a terra cotta pot that holds a single candle and dress it up with fresh green cuttings and berries. Make one for each family participant and find a place at your home for this illuminating collection.
- O So Jar-ming Advent Calendar: Fancy up a glass jar with layers of ribbons. Tuck a collection of activity strips in the top. Choose one each day and count down to the anticipated Day. Afterwards, repurpose the jar for collecting prayer concerns, good thoughts or church change.
- O, A Sign: Stencil one of the many choices of sentiments and transform this wooden board. Bedeck a wire clothes hanger with beads and ribbons and make it your special sign for the season.
- Wooden This Be Cute?: A wooden ice cream spoon, paper and craft sticks are the inspiration for this adorable Baby Jesus in the manger.
- O, Sew a Felt Tree: Sew a simple felt Christmas tree shape with a decorative edge stitch. Stuff with a bit of batting, tuft with buttons, and call it an ornament.
- O, a Wing and a Prayer: Cut out bird shapes from music printed card stock. Accordion fold tissue paper wings to make a beautifully simple ornament to trim any tree, ready to take a bough.
- O, Advent Wreath: Make a very traditional advent wreath for your family. Construct with fragrant greenery and five candles. A reservation and extra $5 fee required. Usually one per family.
- O, Pre-Schooler Crafts: For wee hands, stack fruity “O” cereal on a pipe cleaner and bend into a candy cane shape. Make several to hook on a tree limb outside and feed your backyard wildlife. Color-full coloring sheets are always a creative, fun, and welcome activity for small ones.
What You Need to Know
- A nursery will be provided for children under three.
- Dress for mess or bring a paint smock.
- Bring a box to carry home your crafts.
- Bring a plate of holiday cookies or other goodies to share on the refreshment table and/or the contest (see below)
- Drinks will be provided.
Best Goodies Contest
We invite you to make delicious and/or creative cookies and treats to enter in a contest. Drop off a sample at the welcome table at the workshop. Put a plate of your treats on the refreshment table.
We’d thank the Advent Workshop committee: Liz Kelleher, Chair; Christine Black, Amy Travis, Pam Jackson, Helen Phillips, Deb Ruffino, Emily Shank, Jane Shank
We’d also like to thank the following groups: Aldersgate Bible Class, Christ and Conversation Class, Cokesbury Class, Faith Matters Class,Fellowship class, Koinonia Class, Young Adult Class, Sixth Grade Leadership group,Choir group, and a Bible Study Group.