Senior Adult Ministry
What We're All About!
Our mission as the Senior Adult Council of Christ United Methodist Church is to cultivate and coordinate programs for those of mature years, meeting their needs in all areas of congregational life; foster Christian hope and continued involvement as we grow older; make disciples for Christ through worship, learning, fellowship, and service.
Overview of Our Senior Adult Ministries
Sunday School Classes (with representation of age 55 and older)
- Asbury Class (9:45am in the Chapel)
- Cokesbury Class (9:50am in Room 106)
- Epworth Class (9:50am Room 202)
- Koinonia Class (9:50am in Room 205)
- Seekers Class (9:50am in Room 101)
Worship Enhancement by Senior Adults
- Seniors assist pastors at CUMC in serving Holy Communion and participate, as needed, in worship services.
- Bible Study and worship experiences provided at Friends Home West by CUMC clergy/lay preachers.
- Communion is taken to our shut-in members monthly by older adults involved in our Communion to Shut-In Ministry. Contact: Nancy Reaves
- Reach Out Visitation to shut-in members each month
We Invite and Encourage You to Participate in the Following:
- Disciple and Other Bible Study Classes (day and evening)
- Welcome Wednesday Dinners, Fellowship and Classes
- Physical Fitness and Wellness Classes
- Prime Timers
- United Methodist Women Events/Circles
Opportunities for Service
- Chancel and New Covenant Choirs
- Handbell Choirs
- Mobile Meals Drivers
- Sunday School Teaching or Substituting
- Homebound Visitation and Telephoning
- Volunteer Church Receptionist
- Urban Ministry Food Donation Volunteering
- Shepherd's Center Outreach
- UMW Annual Bazaar and Silent Auction
- Vacation Bible School
- Church Greeters/Ushers
- Habitat for Humanity
- Mission Trips in US and Abroad
- Salvation Army Bell Ringers at Christmas
- CUMC Committees, Councils, and Boards
- Stephen Ministry
- Hospice Volunteer
- Sewing Projects (costumes, as needed)
- Church Visitation
- Welcome Wednesday Dinners
- Host/Hostess Prime Timer or Day Timer Events
Reasons for senior adults to participate and benefit from attending Senior Highlight events:
- To make new acquaintances in the church family
- To strengthen current friendships in a joyful way
- To nurture Christian attributes
- To enjoy great programs and build a strong support group.
PRIME TIMERS (Third Tuesday, year round): Prime Timers is a joyful gathering of Christ Church members, prospective members, and their friends who are 55 and older, who meet once a month to enjoy wonderful Christian fellowship, programs, entertainment, and support. Meetings begin at 5:30pm for fellowship, with a delicious dinner ($6) at 6pm. Visitors and new members are welcome!
55+ TRAVEL GROUP: Want to enjoy more outings? Our travel group is primarily social and provides opportunities for fellowship through local trips as well as away trips, even out of state.
OUR MISSION LIVED OUT
We believe that older adults must have the opportunity to reaffirm their faith and commitment to Christ and the church at this significant period in their life, to be nurtured in the faith, and to rejoice in the Christian hope. We also believe that it is imperative that older adults have a voice in planning ministries and forming policies related to their own age group. We join them and one another in joy and in sorrow, in life and in death, and face the future with the assurance that God is with us. Thanks be to God! (Based on "The Theological Response," Statement on Aging, General Board of Global Ministries, The United Methodist Church.)
As stated in Isaiah 40:31:
Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They shall soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint.
Our Senior Adult Ministry Council is composed of representatives from each area of church life involved with older adults. To learn more, email or call Anne Dooley at (336) 299-1571, ext. 306.